How many times someone has pointed at me and shouted "老外" this week: 2


Saturday, February 20, 2010

An epic day at 豫园。


Hhhhmmm, the smell of garbage, people spitting all around you, creepy men calling out, "hey rady, you want buy bag, louis vitton, gucci, you want buy?"...Must be a market in China.

Today we ventured to the beautiful Yuyuan to 讨价还价 a little bit. It was decorated for chinese new year and it looked awesome.

I finally found a store with the Mao Zedong painting that I wanted so much, and argued with the shop keeper for about 15 min, finally getting her to cut the price in half. I obviously employed the fool proof bargaining tactics we learned last summer. Oh, Dr. Lin would be so proud. Then as we ventured further down the road, we came across the greatest thing I have ever seen in China, Ladies and gentlemen I give you: Obama Mart.



As we ventured past Obama Mart, we were accosted by a group of very annoying people who wanted us to go with them to look at pearls. As we tried to ignore them, I mistakenly told one of the women I spoke Chinese, so she followed us down the street for about 5 minutes, going off in rapid fire crazy chinese, and people were actually gathering around us to watch me speak to this woman. Finally I got her to leave us alone, but the man was not convinced we didnt want the pearls, so he continued to follow us, saying things like "look rady, its no problem, you forrow me."

Finally, I flipped out. I feel bad about it now, but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. I think he was a little dejected as he left us, but I was victorious, and thats all that matters.

I woke up at 4:30 this morning, thank you jet lag, so I'm getting tired, I might need to refuel later with some delicious greul. Also, my camera broke today, of course. Its off to 百息买 (Best Buy) to attepmt to replace it. We head to Nanjing in a few days to start class! More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment