How many times someone has pointed at me and shouted "老外" this week: 2


Friday, March 19, 2010

You thought I was dead didn't you?

Well, I'm not. Not yet anyways. Sorry about my failure at posting lately. I have been WAY too busy. First of all, lets me give a special shout out to Kate Woodard (she knows why)

Ok so, I don't know where to begin. When I last posted, I still didn't have a roommate, but I finally got one, and she. is. awesome. Let me introduce you to Maxine Gerber.

I'm sure you will be hearing quite a lot about her. She goes to school in New Jersey, but lives in Hong Kong. She is half Taiwanese and half American. And she is just about as crazy as me (watch out China)

So I have been doing so much in the last few weeks. Class started, so I take 22 hours of Chinese language a week, plus a foreign policy and a Chinese economy class. Woot Woot. I start every day at 8am, and am drunk every day by 1 (kidding people)

I have met so many amazing friends, you will get to know them well I'm sure. What do I like to do with these friends you ask? Well the answer is go out to the clubs (aka the greatest places on earth)
Lets just say that my first friday night here ended with me screaming at a beggar that I would throw up in his cup full of coins if he didn't get it out of my face. Oh how I love Hennessey.

I have had quite a few strange experiences so far, seeing as this is China that is totally normal. And I promise I will be better about blogging now that I am settled in. In my defense, the week I got here my computer charger broke (naturally) So I went on a fun adventure to replace that. But now that I am charged and ready to go, let me attempt to recall some funny things that have happened thus far...

After Maxine moved in, we decided it would be fun to go to Fuzi Miao, aka Confucious Temple. As we geared up to see this historic monument, I forgot that this is China, so what we were really going to see was a once-historic and beautiful place, converted in a crappy outdoor shopping mall of sorts, full of people to stare at my whiteness : ) However, it was beautiful at night with all the lights, and Maxine and I naturally ate our weight in food from various street vendors. We feasted on stinky tofu, cold rice noodles, red bean soup, and the greatest invention known to man... strawberries on a stick, coated with what appeared to high fructose corn syrup. YUM.



Besides eating said strawberries and drunkenly puking on beggars, I have hanging out with all my new friends, and attempting school. Also, being offered jobs by molesters in cafes.
This is a fun story let me tell you. So, I am at a cafe with Maxine, Kathie, and Jelena for lunch, and one of the creepiest, googly-eyed, old men I've ever seen is sitting at the table behind us. I am obviously listening to his phone conversation and can already tell that his is full of you know what. All I can hear is "so Hillary Clinton's advisor called me...and I'm not gonna cash that check...No, I went to the police." and I'm just like, please shutup so I can enjoy my glass of lukewarm water in peace.

But could he resist his molester instincts? Of course not. Next thing I know he is kneeling next to me, just talking. Something along the lines of "Hey ladies I'm the best english teacher in all of China and I need people to work for me, all the Chinese girls fall in love with me, but I'm not a peodofile, and I need some ladies with the goods to seduce these boys into learning english...and my name is Chip and I'm not gonna hit on you but I'm not gay...so just meet me in this park on Saturday night..." As I was sitting with my face in my palm praying that he would just shutup, he looked at me and said, "you're not having a good reaction to this." and I said, "I'm not a fan of molesting little chinese boys, thanks though Chip."

Needless to say, I didn't take the job.

I miss all of you back in America and I promise I will be better about blogging : ) There will be plenty more pictures and stories to come....


No comments:

Post a Comment